Friday, August 28

Blueberry Bounty

My father & I share a common interest in blueberries...we love to eat them! A favorite summer treat for us is fresh blueberries in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar, swimming in cream. But, we're not too picky...blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberry muffins...we love to eat those, too. And we each have our own fond childhood memories of plucking berries ripe from the bush. So, naturally, a thought occurred to us; why not grow our own blueberries? Which is exactly what we did...or Dad did, rather. This past spring, my dear dad purchased some blueberry bushes of various sizes, had them shipped to my house, and planted the bushes in my backyard. All twelve of them. By himself.

And all summer long, Dad tended to the blueberry bushes. He watered them, fed them fertilizer, supported the branches with stakes when they started to droop on the ground. Dad did all the work & let me have all the fun; it was my "job" to pick the berries!

Now, the season is almost over and we haven't reaped bushels of blueberries...just a few handfuls. But, oh, those berries tasted yummy. Best. Blueberries. Ever. Was it because we didn't use pesticides on them? Was it the type of fertilizer Dad used? Maybe. My opinion? I think the blueberries tasted so good because they were homegrown with a dash of Dad's love.







6 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

I agree with you... eveything is so much better made and grown with love!

Kasey said...

now i have blueberries on my mind.
xo

Daddy's Little Girl said...

I really really really need to get up to see you. I want to see your blueberry garden. I just learned the enjoyment of them this summer. You were keeping it a secret from me all these years :) I do remember Aunt Genie making blueberry pancakes, and never understood until now, why you and Uncle Stevie would eat soo many of them!!!!! I love you!!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful dad you have :) Glad to see someone else likes blueberry pancakes too! Yum!

:) T

Jeanne Oliver said...

You daddy sure does love you!!!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Hi Leah,
Your blog is so cute. I am loving the cool little playlist thingy on your sidebar. I might have to add that to mine. Love blueberries too by the way!!!