When I was in junior high {middle school today}, I wrote a report on Chief Joseph and his tribe the Nez Perce. I remember being deeply moved by his words, the surrender speech he gave after having tried ~and failed after days of fighting~ to lead his people safely to Canada. The Chief's speech profoundly described the plight of American Indians and their struggle with the white man. The last lines from his speech I still can recall: "Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever." Such eloquent words of sorrow & surrender. And lately, I have found myself relating a bit to Chief Joseph and his words. Not that I have suffered the hardships his people endured--hardly--but, for these past few weeks, my heart has been feeling sick and sad. Sick with worry, sad with grief. Janie's death, my mother's continued hospitalization, and the recent diagnosis of her lung cancer have taken a toll on me...on my family. And so, all these years later, I am again moved by the words of Chief Joseph.
Saturday, January 24
Words of Chief Joseph
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
oh, I am so sorry to hear about your mother!
My prayers are with you dear Leah!
xxoo
kasey
May God give you the strength and peace during this time. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Remember you are not alone.
Oh Leah, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's fragile state and the scarey diagnosis. I send you prayers and love during this difficult time. XOXXO
Leah I too am sorry to hear of your heartache and sadness. My mother also had a diagnosis of lung cancer several years ago and, being severely asthmatic we weren't too hopeful. However, her outcome was the best possible. She is still with us and I will pray that your family is blessed with the same result. I know how scary this time is for you and send my prayers your way.
Robin
Post a Comment