Wednesday, January 25

The Artsy Side

Back in December, when I took the Artsy Ornament workshop, I introduced myself to the world of Christy Tomlinson...and what a beautiful world it is.  If you haven't heard of her; let me just say, she is an extremely talented lady who makes some pretty amazing art.  Seriously, Christy has now joined Jeanne as one of my art-making idols. 

Here's the thing...I don't really think of myself as an artist.  I rarely say type the word out loud when speaking of myself; my brain just doesn't think that way.  And really, I'm okay with that.  Because with their guidance, encouraging words, & wonderful tutorials, Jeanne & Christy help me discover the artsy side of me. 
You see, though I don't think I'm an artist...in my heart...I feel artful.  And I'm pretty sure my heart and hands recognize something that my head does not.  Making a mess, playing with products, accepting my art...soothes my spirit.  It sounds corny to say, but creating something, anything, simply feeds my soul.
And that's what crafting this little canvas did for me...gave me some needed nourishment for my artsy side.  Just before Christmas, Christy posted a tutorial on her blog of a project I just had to "copy" because it was so stinkin' cute.  Following her easy-breezy video {which can still be viewed here}, I made the canvas pictured here in my photos.
Just what the artsy side of me needed.  So much fun...made me want to keep making more.  {Which I did.  The heart canvas featured in my previous post was the result.} Some days, I think my heart is a little wiser than my brain.  Perhaps I'll listen to it more.

6 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

I have always considered you an artist dear friend. So glad that those fine ladies brought that out for your to see. Love your canvases. Makes me want to create!

Anonymous said...

I think I understand your hesitancy to label yourself -- I take photographs, but rarely call myself a photographer. It feels boastful to me, but that's my issue.

Love what you've done here, Leah. So many little details to explore in your creation. :)

traci said...

oh leah. say it and say it loud - you are an artist. that is gorgeous. i love it. if you every make any more and decide to sell them. (little etsy shop for ya) i will be your first customer. beautiful!!!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

wowza girlie...you are flying just like that butterfly. love that song!

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Nothing is wrong listening to your heart . . . it always promises something so good. This turned out beautiful . . . butterflies and hearts are my favorites. Leah you are an artist kiddo:O) Much thanks for checking in on me . . feeling a whole lot better. Blog friends are amazing . . . Sandy xox

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I love what you did on the canvas. You are very artsy and I know what you mean about not feeling like it, but you are. Love your blog.


Love, Jody