Thursday, October 27

Sweet Surprise

If I were to be completely honest, I'd tell you that teenagers scare me a bit.  I'm not sure how to talk to them or how I should behave around them.  Which is really ridiculous because I live with a teenager 24/7 and I used to be one myself {although, as my sixteen-year-old would say, "it's been aaay-ges"}.  Still, put me in a room full of five-year-olds and I know what to do...but with a group of teenagers...sheeesh, not a clue.

So you can imagine my panic when my daughter Brynn told me she wanted to invite her whole class to help her celebrate her 16th birthday.  I pictured dozens of teens descending upon my house, like "creatures" from some horror show, 
wreaking all kinds of havoc.  Making noise and leaving messes. How's that for being dramatic?
To my sweet surprise, our evening with "the teenagers" was quite pleasant.  For starters, only a handful of Brynn's school friends were able to attend {it seems kids these days have quite the busy social lives:}. Her guests were polite & friendly and well-behaved.  Give them some soda, snacks and silly-scary movies and these teens were good to go.  Perhaps, I can relate to them after all.

4 comments:

traci said...

i am glad you had a great experience. it's not as bad as you think. our place was the hangout for lots of my kids' friends. i loved it. you know where they are and you grow to love those kids as your own.

Sheila Rumney said...

So glad you had a good time. I enjoy having the teens hang at the house. They are fun to get to know.

Love your pics!

Sylvia said...

Glad you had a nice evening !
Your TT photo is wonderful, love the pumpkin and the textures you used !
Thanks for your lovely comment,
Sylvia

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Oh Leah, It will all come naturally . . . its definitely different, but so much fun too. Cassandra is the only one around now. I should have put a revolving door on the front of my house, the kids and their friends were in and out all the time and eating everything too :O). Blessings, Sandy:O)