Wednesday, October 7

Praying or Preying

It seems every autumn, I am apt to find one of these intriguing insects in my backyard. Though its name is praying mantis, this bug-eyed creature is most definitely of the preying type. I was under the impression they were good to have in the garden...that praying mantids ate all kinds of bugs. They are and they do. But, apparently, this predator has a much bigger appetite, too, for bigger prey. Like a frog or a lizard or a mouse! Eewwww! And what is with those eyes? A praying mantis may be harmless to people, and may be beneficial to pest control, but I still find it a bit disconcerting to be stared at by a bug!

5 comments:

Kasey said...

gross.
I'd love to see one of those eat a frog!
lol
have a great day Leah!

Sheila Rumney said...

Looks like he was just eyeing you!! Great pic!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Yeah those are really creepy:) I never see them in my yard. Glad about that.

Unknown said...

You're kidding me...a mouse? Being all organic and stuff I did know that they are good for the garden because they eat the bad bugs, but I did read that they eat the good ones too!

:) T

Jeanne Oliver said...

Creepy!!! I saw a huge one like that when we lived in Virginia.