Monday, October 26

Good & Evil

On Halloween, when she was fourteen, my mother was abducted... almost. Had it not been for some good fortune, evil might have won that night and my mother lost.

Deciding she was too old for trick-or-treating, my mother went to the movies with friends instead. For reasons lost to me now, the ride that was supposed to return Mom home, didn't happen. It was late and fearing her parents might get angry, my mother chose to walk home instead of calling them to come get her. As she passed by a wooded area, an unknown person with a malevolent mind jumped from the shadows and grabbed my mother. As he tried to drag Mom towards the trees, she, of course, struggled to get free. Luckily for her, an approaching car and its' bright headlights startled the assailant and he ran back into the woods. And my mother ran, too. Seeing lights illuminating a house nearby, she ran for safety...she ran for her life. The residents {good samaritans they were} opened their door, opened their arms, and offered a safe haven for a terrified teenage girl. Now, I don't know how long Mom was "haunted" by that awful attack; but, I do know that it changed her. I think it made her more fearful, made her more cautious. I know that it made her fiercely {over}protective of her children...my brother & me. It is, I'm sure, what prompted her to participate in safety awareness programs at our elementary school. And for years, she was a block mother...a sign posted in our front window, a beacon to neighborhood children that her home was a safe place. And she their "guardian angel". A role set in motion long ago, when good & evil did battle...and Mom was on the winning team.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what an awful experience she went through. I sure hope the police were called and picked up that loon. That sort of thing would make any mother over protective.
I am glad it ended well.
~Tammy

Kara Ward said...

I am so glad good prevailed. I had a moment last week that I am still not talking about but has made me fearful too. That angel is such a pillar of strength. I saw her in Rome as I crossed a small bridge. I took her photo too.

Unknown said...

OMG that gave me chills to read! That would undoubtedly be a life changing experience. My mom was very overprotective for us girls as well, similarly because of events in her childhood...Thank the good Lord that your mom was okay!

T

Farmgirl Paints said...

I seriously have chills all over! Wow what a horrible experience!!! So thankful God protected her. I can't even imagine how something like that would alter my life and my children's.

Jeanne Oliver said...

That story gave me chills too! What a horrible story and then amazing that she got away. It would have changed me too...and make me even more cautious with my children.

Sheila Rumney said...

What an awful experience. I am so glad that there was an angel watching over your mom.