Monday, February 14

Love Story

It was an ordinary Fourth of July like all the other ones I'd spent so far...except it wasn't.

On this July 4th oh so long ago, my brother was away in the Navy.
My parents were visiting my grandmother in Pennsylvania.

And I was home...alone.
The plans I'd made with friends...changed at the last minute.
My cousin Megan called to invite me over to their family barbecue.

And there he was...this man I'd never met.  My future husband. 
Sitting in my uncle's living room.
Like me, he'd had no plans to be there.

But, fate stepped in and brought us together.
He was a friend of Megan's cousin Candy and she had insisted he go, too.  
I thought they were together...turns out, they weren't.


Funny thing, just days before I had sworn off men for awhile...declared my independence:)  I was turning 25 that summer and had decided I'd kissed too many toads.  And then, Prince Charming showed up in my own "backyard" {well ok, more like Megan's backyard}.


I don't know if it was love-at-first-sight, but it was pretty close.  Within a week, Brett & I had our first date.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Yes, there were some beautiful fireworks on July 4th,1991...and not just in the sky.

Happy Valentine's Day, B...I love you more!!

17 comments:

traci said...

awwww. what a sweet love story. happy valentines day leah!!

Victoria said...

That's a lovely story! Funny that love hits us at the most unexpected times! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day:)

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

How wonderful to meet someone when you least expect it!

Happy Valentine's,
Jacalyn

Sheila Rumney said...

So glad there were fireworks that night! Happy Valentine's!

Lynn said...

I love this story and the beautiful photos of roses. Isn't just amazing how love creeps up on us when we least expect it! Wonderful, heartwarming love story. Happy Valentines Day.

Unknown said...

Oh it sounds like it was the work of Cupid..he does work that way..just when you least expect it..
Lovely Story,
Yours Sincerely,
Shirley

Farmgirl Paints said...

Awww isn't it amazing how life brings two people together...forever?? Well not just life, I believe that God brings us together. Great love story:)

Daniella said...

Awesome story! And those pictures are amazing!
Thanks for sharing!!
xxDaniella

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Leah,

Love this posting . . what a beautiful story . . too sweet, the rose pics are very pretty. Happy Sweets Day! Sandy:O)

MaroDe said...

Darling story! Never say never!
Happy Valentine's Day!

fairyrocks said...

I am so glad you decided to go to the party impromptu!!!
Have a wonderful Valentines day, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

what a darling story! I loved it so much...and the romance was just dripping from your photo spread!

the vintage tattered finish to the roses....stunning!
always a pleasure to stop in here!

here's to love and loving!

ciao bella

Creative Carmelina

Kasey said...

what a gorgeous story Leah!

Cyn said...

wonderful story!

Kara Ward said...

Oh, that is the sweetest story ever...
And you know how I feel about your photos....
WOW!

Your heart was open to love---

Karen Valentine said...

That was a wonderful story and beautiful pictures to go with it!!!
Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!!!
xo,
Karen

Anonymous said...

such a sweet story! {loved all of your gorgeous photos that accompanied it as well!}