Monday, February 22

Homemade Hello

Emails & texts serve their purpose...allowing us to communicate & connect in a speedy manner. A necessary evil, I guess. But, call me old-fashioned, I still like to give and receive "snail mail". Finding a handwritten note or homemade card in my mailbox makes me smile and I like to return the favor. So, this weekend I spent a little time making cards for some long-distance friends; my college friend Lisa, and my mom's best friend, "Aunt" Rosemarie. Lisa and I have been friends for over 20 years; we live in the same state, but rarely see each other. Our friendship has flourished mainly through the post office. As for Aunt Rosemarie, she & my mother were best friends for 50 years; like sisters to one another, as much as their real siblings were. For more than half those five decades, they lived halfway across the country from each other. During Mom's final days, her "BFF" was here with us. These two ladies are very dear to me; their "long-distance love" is a gift I treasure. So, when they open their mailboxes and find a homemade hello from me, I hope it makes them smile. I hope they feel special. Because they are.

6 comments:

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Cherished that friendship . . it doesn't happen often. Sweet . . Have a good day!

Sheila Rumney said...

Love your beautiful cards and so enjoy when I receive one from you too. What great friendships across the miles!

Terri Smith said...

Good morning Leah. Just discovered your wonderful site and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Terri Smith. I'm a visual artist out of Bonaire, Ga. But I'm also a mother of a beautiful daughter, and when I came across Martina's lyrics, they just touched my very soul this morning. Just wanted to thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am. For today. For all of eternity.

Blessings, joy and sunshine, Terri

the wild raspberry said...

it would be a treat to get pretty cards like that!

Unknown said...

Oh Leah I think it is an incredibly special gesture for you to take the time and energy to send a handmade note to your friends...it has love and friendship written all over it!!!

:) T

p.s. My mom is working on making some more burlap bags for me...when she's done would you like some?...I'm not selling them in the shop, but I would be more than happy to pop some in the mail for you, my treat! You're a dear, sweet person Leah and I so very much appreciate all of the kind words you leave for me on my blog!!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

I agree there is nothing quite like a handwritten note. Speaks volumes doesn't it?!