Friday, November 21

I Didn't Know

I didn't know daisies were her favorite flowers.
I didn't know her childhood friends,
what subject she liked best
in school, or even her favorite color.
I did know she left nursing school to be a wife and mother.
I did know she was the oldest of seven children, often more like
a parent than sister.
She drank coffee and tea, put her makeup on at the kitchen table,
and made a mean chicken cacciatore.
I didn't know her dreams and hopes, her biggest fear, or what made her nervous.
I did know she was more than just Aunt Pat to me. She was my second mom.
Her house was home for my brother and me during our summer vacations.
In fact, her home was the official gathering place
for family & friends alike during holidays
and occasions like weddings, funerals, and birthdays.
She listened to Patsy Cline, collected owl figurines, and read scary stories.
She offered guidance, sage advice, and support.
No, I didn't know daisies were her favorite flowers.
I didn't know she would leave us so soon...
or that there would still be this ache in my heart five years after she died.
I did know how much she was loved.
I didn't know how much she would be missed.
But now I know.














1 comment:

Sheila Rumney said...

Thank goodness you have all your wonderful memories of your beloved Aunt.