Friday, March 21

Tobacco is Not My Friend

My mom has lost three of her six siblings. All 3 of them died from lung-related diseases. All 3 had been smokers. Two aunts, one uncle... gone before age 65. Their absence makes my heart ache. My mom, who quit smoking a few years ago & for which I am proud, suffers from COPD. Clearly, tobacco is not my friend. My parents and their siblings grew up in an age when cigarettes & smoking were glamorized...when it was cool to smoke. Not so any more. Now we know better. Tobacco is not my friend. Recently, my cousin-in-law, Danny, was diagnosed with stage-3 lung cancer. Our family is still reeling from the news. But we know Danny is a fighter. Danny is strong and he is stubborn. He has the love & support of family & friends. Though his battle with cancer will not be an easy one---weeks of chemotherapy & radiation---we have faith that Danny can, and will, defeat this illness. We love you, Danny! Tobacco, we do not. Tobacco, you are not my friend.

3 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

My prayers go out to you, Danny and your family. Cancer is a scary thing. Tobacco is NOT my friend either and I am very glad it is NOT yours!

XOXOXO

Papa said...

You write like me. I'm so proud.

Papa said...

You write like me. I'm so proud.