Thursday, December 1

Countdown Chain

It's just a paper chain...like the kind we used to make in grade school.  And yet it's so much more.  Each link represents love, laughter, fun, tradition, family, friendship, time spent together, and holiday spirit.  You see, this homemade chain is our official kick-off to the Christmas season around here.

Each year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving {you may have Black Friday...we have Super Saturday}, my girls and I get together with my dear friend Sheila and her kids for a pre-Christmas sleepover.  Besides having lots of fun, eating yummy treats, and staying up way-past-my-bedtime, we also make a few crafts.  Every year, the same thing happens...all four kids agree...the paper chain{each family makes one} is their favorite!  And it's all so simple: for each link, we brainstorm and come up with things to do.  Then, beginning 25 days before Christmas, each morning we remove a link, read it, and share an activity for that day.  My girls are 16 &12 now, Sheila's kids are 17 & 14; and still, they show us that you're never too old to enjoy simple things.  Simple joys...simply the best!

4 comments:

Kai said...

Oh, BOY! Do I EVER love this idea! It's kind of like the saying, "Old friends are the best friends!" Old traditions are also the best! I'm DOING this one!

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I just made some white paper chains to decorate our home for our anniversary dinner!
The kids loved it....and it was fun to create!

Ciao Bella
Creative Carmelina

traci said...

what a wonderful idea. and it's even more special because you share it with your best friend. love it.

Tricia said...

Oh, I love this idea! It's so simple, but gives each day something to look forward to :)