One of our traditions for Christmastime is baking batches of pumpkin bread. It's one of my favorite things about this time of year. Pumpkin bread tastes yummy, fills the house with a wonderful aroma, and makes a great gift for friends, neighbors, school secretaries and even our mail carrier! For years, Mom would bake the batter in empty coffee cans...a perfect container because you could just pop on the lid and top with a bow. These days, since coffee cans are now plastic, I bake our loaves of pumpkin bread in plain old loaf pans.
But it still tastes good. I'd like to say the recipe is an old family secret, passed down through the generations...it's not, not for our family anyway. Years ago, in the early days of Dad's career with TWA, he commuted weekly from NY to the midwest and back. On one such trip, he was seated next to a couple of elderly ladies and they were "breaking bread" so to speak. My father must have given them his best "puppy-dog eyes" because they not only shared some slices with him, they mailed him the recipe! So thanks to these two generous ladies, our family & friends have enjoyed the best pumpkin bread ever...for decades now.
In keeping with those two kind souls, and since this is the season of giving, I'm sharing the recipe with you. Try it if you want...your taste buds will thank you!
Pumpkin Bread *preheat oven to 350 degrees
3 cups sugar 1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil 3 1/3 cups flour
4 eggs 1/2 tsp baking powder
1(15oz) can pumpkin 2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup water 1 cup raisins
1 tsp nutmeg 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp salt *raisins and nuts optional
Mix together, by hand, all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour batter evenly into 3 regular loaf pans or 5 mini pans...each pan should be about 2/3 full. Bake for approx 65 minutes. Cool and then refrigerate. Freezes well.




5 comments:
What a neat story behind one of the yummiest gifts we get for Christmas!
what a great idea. i would just spoon it out of that can...into my mouth...that could be dangerous. yummy!
Leah...I just wrote the recipe down in my book here..and I will try to make it tonight! I have had a can of pumpkin in my cupboard for a long time now....(don't worry it's still good) and I wanted to use it for something other than pumpkin pie...although that is good too! heheee...
what a sweet 'everyday life' 'family matters' story goes along with this bread! that is the romance of life!
thanks for sharing!
ciao bella
creative carmelina
oh ya....baking it in a metal coffee can and then putting the lid back on to give as a gift is brilliant! I love that idea..and have now locked it into my creative vault!
thanks again!
ciao
CC
Oh yes! I love this recipe...I made it today and I'm so thrilled that I did! the only problem now is that I'm chowing down on it piece after piece and I can't stop myself!
This recipe should come with a warning...."once you start, you won't stop till it's gone!"
It makes a huge amount of deliciousness..and it really does fill the house with a warm scent and with love!
thanks again sweetie...
and to anyone out there....what are you waiting for? go on and make yourself some right this minute...Leah was being way too modest here....it is fantabulastically delicious!
ciao bella
Creative Carmelina
Post a Comment