On our last antiquing adventure, my dear friend Sheila & I came across boxes and boxes of old postcards. Labeled 25 cents each. Well, you would have thought we struck gold with these pretty postcards! Sheila & I pored over them, pulling out a pretty one here, a pretty one there, already discussing how we planned to use them in some future craft or art project.
As we pondered over our choices, I couldn't help but wonder when sending a pretty postcard with a handwritten note on the back became a thing of the past. Certainly before the computer craze, before my childhood even, when postcards seemed to be nothing more than tourist-trap staples. I can't help but feel a little sad that hardly anyone sends handwritten notes anymore. At the same time, I am amazed that these little bits of ephemera have lasted through the years. The postcards Sheila and I purchased were postmarked 1910, 1913, and the like.
No, it's not likely we'll find one of these in our mailboxes, but we know right where to find these postal prizes when we want some more: at any nearby antiques store!
Monday, September 21
Going Postal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Oh how wonderful - I love old postcards. Sometimes the wonderful script on back is actually better than the picture on the front! Have a great week Leah!!!
:) T
I think it has gone by the wayside as postal prices continue to soar! But I am so glad we found these beauties together!
I know just how you feel. It's a haunting, sad feeling to think something as precious as a handwritten note is likely a thing of the past. Your blog looks great, by the way!
Post a Comment