Friday, July 31

Gettysburg Goodies


This story actually began seven years ago, on a family trip to our nation's capitol. Summer of 2002, on our way to Washington, D.C., we stopped in Gettysburg, PA for a few hours. To visit that solemn battlefield of Civil War days {A few hours is not nearly enough time to spend there; I'd like to go back for a few days}. When it was time to get back on the road, we drove through the older part of town and I spied this lovely store. Was I dreaming? Imagining things? No, it really was a store with a window display full of the ironstone china I coveted. Begging my family to pull over for a moment, I hopped out of the car to rush to the shop in hopes it would be open. Alas, it was not...open only one day a week or by appointment. Flash forward to this summer. Brett & I said our good-byes to family {leaving the girls & my dad to spend another week in NY} and began the trip back home. We planned to take our time, stopping at some antique shops & malls along the way, happy to have a few days to ourselves. It was actually my dh who remembered that little shop in Gettysburg before I did. So, we took a chance and went there. Oh happy day, we were in luck: it was Friday and that was the one day Knorrwood Antiques was open for business. Oh, I could have spent hours in there...this lovely place with one big, beautiful collection of ironstone. As I floated through the shop, we also chatted with the proprietor who told us "anytime you're in town, give us a call and we'll open the shop for you"! I purchased a few pieces and we were on our merry way{with me already dreaming of a future visit}. It was only later, after Brett & I had been back on the road for an hour or more, that I realized I hadn't taken a picture of the shop. Oh, I was bummed! So mad at myself because it might be years before I could get back there. Had my head in the clouds and didn't think to grab my camera out of my bag. Photo opportunity missed, yes, but there's more to this story. Imagine my surprise and delight, when a week later Dad & the girls arrived home...and I found out what my dear dad had done. He & the girls had stopped in Gettysburg, too, in the hopes of buying some ironstone for me. Knorrwood Antiques was closed that day; but, dear Dad got something just as good. He had taken pictures{thank you, Daddy}of that quaint little shop! And, that, as Mr. Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love white ironstone too! Being new to blogging, I'm still getting used to remembering to bring my camera everywhere, but I'm already one of those who is always saying..."oh this would be a good shot for my blog!" (insert husband rolling his eyes here)

:) T

Sheila Rumney said...

Isn't it heartbreaking when you forget your camera. Your dad deserves a big KISS for that wonderful picture!

Jill said...

Love the ironstone. Your blog is so pretty. First time I have been by, but I will be sure to visit again!
Jill