Monday, September 15

Two Peas in a Pod

In truth, she's my cousin...the youngest daughter of my mom's oldest sister. In my heart, from the very start, Deanna{pronounced dee-na} has been more like my sister, the biological one I never had. Born just 9 days apart {I being the older one}, we have always felt connected, two peas in a pod, much like twins. "Twins" who are polar opposites, however. I was {am} the girly-girl; the timid, shy peacemaker of the pair. Deanna, assertive and outgoing, was {is}more of a tomboy. I am the wallflower to her party girl. And while she's more "city-mouse", I am most definitely a "country-mouse". Some might say we have nothing in common...but they'd be wrong. Deanna & I share a bond, a connection that runs deeper than our familial tie. It's unexplainable & indescribable & unbreakable. Can you see my hand clutched around her arm in the photo{Deanna's the one in yellow}? That's how it's been for the last 4 decades...the two of us holding on to each other. No matter what life brings us or asks of us, we know we've got each other's back. She's there for me and I'm there for her. Simple as that. No, I never had a real sister; but that's okay because I have Deannabelle. My cousin, my "sister", my friend. Always.

1 comment:

Kasey said...

wow, incredible look.
so cute.
k-