I am a "feeler". I have always been a gal who wears her heart on her sleeves.
No poker face here. Whatever I am feeling, however I am feeling, at any given moment, you will know it. I cry at the drop of a hat. I sometimes yell when I'm angry or upset. My daughters say I "make things weird" whenever I get too sentimental, compassionate, or philosophical.
They may be right. Perhaps I do. I know I often get carried away with...or by...my feelings. And, all too often, my feelings are easily hurt. But ya know what? I am okay with all of this. It has taken me four decades to get here...but here I am. With plenty of feeling. Good and bad.
I came across this quote the other day..."never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for truth." And I suddenly had...as Oprah would call it...an ah-ha moment. At 47, I realized I have spent the better part of my life apologizing for my feelings. For showing emotion. How crazy is that?? Apologizing for who I am...for how I was made? I think it's time I stopped doing that. And be true to myself, as my mother always said.
So, no more apologizing for the roller-coaster of emotions that make me who I am. I will always try to apologize if my words hurt or my actions offend. And I will apologize for the few times {hee hee} that I am wrong. Or when I make mistakes. I'm just not going to say "I'm sorry" for how my heart feels anymore. And that feels really good.




2 comments:
I too wear my heart on my sleeve. No apologies needed sweet friend. Love you just the way you are!!!
Come and visit my blog Leah, I'm too honest with my feelings ... but I wouldn't be any other way. We only pass through this life once. Love you just the way you are kiddo. xo
Post a Comment