Friday, February 14

Bold & Brave

"I wonder what would happen if you say what you want to say and let the words fall out; honestly, I wanna see you be BRAVE..."  {Sara Bareilles -- Brave}

Brave is not normally an adjective I would use to describe myself. Nor is bold.  Certainly I didn't have those traits when I was a young girl. A young girl afraid of her own shadow. Afraid to speak up.  Afraid to take action.  If my forty-seven-year-old self could have offered advice to my twenty-year-old self; she would have said simply: "Be brave. Be bold. Take a chance. And stop worrying because it's such a waste of time and energy." 
I'd like to think that today, I am a bit bold and brave. Still a work in progress, I'd say.  And I can't go back and change the younger version of myself.  But, what I can do, is encourage my daughters to be brave.  To be bold. To speak their minds, yes; but to choose their words carefully because words can hurt.
That is my wish for my bright, beautiful, sassy daughters.  That they become women who are not afraid to be bold. To be brave. Because there are no "do-overs" in life.  And love...love is always worth the risk.

3 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

Beautifully said dear, sweet friend. Love you!

traci said...

i will be singing that song all day now. that's ok because i like it. great post my friend. i do think brave and bold come with age but i see those traits in your daughters. mine too.

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

That's the only way to be Leah :O)