It's that time again...time for the Academy Awards. When I was a young girl, I couldn't wait for Oscar night. I'd beg my mom to let me stay up until the very end of the show {because it always aired on a school night} so I could see all the "big" wins. Didn't want to miss a second of it. Back when Hollywood was full of glitz & glamour...when the movies starred legends and greats. Like Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn. And Spencer Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier. Often times, watching the awards show back then, the audience would be filled with the big names in Hollywood. Even a decade or two ago, there were still some true greats at the ceremony...like Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Robert Redford & Paul Newman. And those days, I could say I saw 3 or 4 of the 5 movies nominated for Best Picture{before the Academy Awards aired on tv}; the last few years, I'm lucky if I've seen one of the nominated movies in the theater. Today, it seems as if more & more movies star actors/actresses I barely recognize...some names I've never even heard of. Nah, they just don't make movies & legends like they used to. But, you'll still find
me glued to the television tonight, watching to see who gets the golden guy in each category. For me, it's a hard habit to break. Only these days, it's less about the acting & more about the fashion. Who's best dressed. Who showed up in something hideous. And who knows, I just might catch a glimpse of someone like Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts...or my favorite Hollywood honey: Harrison Ford{the best in my book}. Plus, this year I don't have to beg my mom to let me stay up 'til the very end.
P.S Trivia question for you: Who's the only woman to win four oscars for Best Actress? Answer posted tomorrow.
Sunday, February 22
Golden Guy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Oh, I so agree with you that Hollywood's golden years are gone, gone, gone. I liked it so much more when we didn't know all of the private details of their lives and they were discrete about their lives. Now the Brad Pitt's and Angelina Jolie's of the world make me gag. I've given up award shows altogether now. I see the fashions in magazines at various dentist/doctor/whatever appointments.
But, like you, I did beg my mom to let me stay up and watch. Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Gene Kelly with that twinkle in his eye. And the beautiful actresses like Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and Rita Hayworth (my dad's favorite). Those were the days.
So, I watch old movies and the new ones I see never get nominated because they aren't politically correct enough. But you sure have taken me back in time!
Oh, my guess is either Meryl Streep or Katherine Hepburn.
Wasn't is so fun to watch Hollywood glam up and try to recreate the golden era of movies? I love to see what everyone is wearing and what they say or how they act. Makes me want to go back there and take another bus tour of Hollywood. Gigi is my all time favorite movie and Meet me in St. Louis is #2.
I used to always stay up and watch when I was younger too...dreaming of the day I would win one...lol! I was quite dramatic ;) but far too shy to be an actress in real life...but I did dream!
Watched it the other night too...enjoyed a few moments of it...
Post a Comment