A funny thing about New Yorkers...most never get around to visiting the Statue of Liberty.
In my family, that is certainly the case. Both my parents grew up on Long Island. Guess when they went to see Lady Liberty for the first time? Three or four years after we moved to the Midwest. Now, my cousin Deanna, who has lived all her forty-something years on Long Island, has actually seen the spectacular statue twice...but both times {1989 & 2010} were when we came from out-of-town to visit.
This year's visit to the Statue of Liberty was important to me because it would mark the very first for my two daughters. Ever since Reilly was a toddler, when we'd take a roadtrip back East...she'd say "I want to see the Lady, where's the Lady?". So, last month, Reilly finally got to see The Lady...up close.
We had to wait in line to take the ferry from Battery Park to Liberty Island. When we finally found the end of the line and took our place, the "grapevine" told us it would be a two hour wait. 2 hours...just to board the ferry. 2 hours...in 90 degree weather. Ugh!
That's when this gal...my rockin' cousin Deanna...stepped up; I don't know don't ask me how she did it, but she worked her "New York magic" and got us moved much closer to the front of the line. After going through security and a short ride across the harbor, there we were on Liberty Island.
*photo taken by Sara
Reilly and the rest of us got to see Lady Liberty in all her stunning glory. We didn't go up to the crown or even the pedestal that day. None of us wanted to climb the narrow staircase... 354 steps to the top. Nor did we have the tickets required {the day we went, reservations were available for mid-September!}. Still, she's a sight to behold. One spectacular Statue of Liberty.








4 comments:
What a sight to behold! So glad you got to see Lady Liberty!
Awesome! My best friend is a New Yorker...I'm really hoping she'll let me tag along some day. I'd love to see the Lady in all her glory:)
she is beautiful. i would love to go see her. that last picture of your daughter doing her best imitation is precious!!
Hi Leah,
I'm so jealous . . I would love to visit the Statue of Liberty . . I just might do that now. Got lots of time on my hands. Thank you for all your kindness expressed at my blog. Sandy:O)
Post a Comment