I'm not one to express my political views too loudly or publicly. And I avoid conversations discussing politics like the plague {talk about fireworks}. Nonetheless, I consider myself a patriotic person. A yankee doodle girl always...I stand--hand over heart--whenever the Star-Spangled Banner is played. Old Glory flies from a flagpole planted in our front yard.
So, when I read a column in the paper this past Independence Day, I was moved deeply. I'm not ashamed to admit, I cried reading it; and more, I wished the words were mine to claim. Though not written by me, the essay echoes the thoughts in my mind & my heart about this country that I love. And, I felt compelled to share it with you here.
"We've had happier birthdays. As we fire up the grill today and wait for the fireworks to bloom, the challenges facing Americans seem more daunting then they have in years.
We're facing the longest war in U.S. history. We're in the throes of the worst economic recession in 70 years. More than 15 million of us can't find a job. While millions of gallons of oil wash up on white beaches like black bile.
But here's what makes this and all Fourth of Julys extraordinary: Our freedoms remain the envy of the world.
For more than 234 years, through wars and famine and depression and cultural revolutions and assassinations of great leaders, the American spirit has stared down adversity and overcome. The promise created at the birth of our country remains...
Despite the somber mood of a nation enduring a difficult year, it's important to remember what being an American really means. We're all free to choose our own path to happiness. Honor this day in your own way. Hoist the flag, if you like. Give thanks with your family. Eat some good stuff. Share your blessings. And tonight, under the sparkling skies, find a friend's hand. And look up."
{Hector Casanova 7.4.2010}
Yes...I am grateful to be an American. And my heart swells with patriotic pride. On July 4th and all my days.






5 comments:
I too cried... Yes you are a patriotic girl and so am I... deeply so.
Yep, that definitely gave me a lump in my throat...well said! My husband's twin brother is career Army, so we're a pretty patriotic bunch over here too!
Hope you had a nice weekend Leah!
Hugs ~
:) T
That was beautiful. So good to focus on the positive. Always makes your heart warm when you do that. God please bless America!
Well said. Thanks for sharing it with us. So true and deeply moving.
beautiful!! thanks so much for sharing. i love the family photos and the old navy shirts. perfect!!
Post a Comment